Saturday, December 31, 2011

Big Boy's Toys - II



I was meaning to get myself a decent microphone for my bird sound recording projects for quite some time now. For various reasons (mostly monetary) I was keeping it pending. Finally I got round to researching on the subject ahead of the winter birding season for 2011-12. After much research - mostly around the name of Sennheiser - I started getting suggestions that Rode is not such a bad brand name to go with.

Soon I realised that it is fairly easy to get it here in India. Rode is basically an Australian brand. And Sennheiser is German. Finally I short listed a supplier in Madras who turned out to be the main importer cum distributor for Rode and Sennheiser products in India. The sales guy was very friendly and answered each and every question of mine very patiently. The Calcutta guy Bobby (from whom I had bought my Edirol earlier) quoted a price that is 20 per cent higher than the Madras price, including courier.

After much deliberations in my mind I got this last month. Videmic Pro. From the Madras supplier. Visual Media Works. I must say they are very professional in their approach and execution. I shall wholeheartedly recommend them.

I was looking for a directional microphone basically. The best that the world uses for this is the Sennheiser ME 67 with K6. I realised that if I got someone to bring it for me from America it will cost me close to Rs 50,000. In India a more stripped down version without the windshield etc would cost me more than 75k. So I thought I would buy that when NatGeo commissions me.

I started looking at shotgun mics and here Rode and Sennheiser both have their offerings. The shotgun mics can serve the dual purpose of being attached to both my Edirol as well as my 7D. So I narrowed down my choice to the Rode which has excellent review from real users.

I am fairly happy with the mic. I got a Deadcat windshield for the mic within a week. This view up there is without the windshield.

No comments: