Sunday, December 25, 2011

Big Boy's Toys



That's my latest toy. I have been owning this for a few years now. My nephew Gublai had brought this from the US on my request. But ever since I hardly ever put it to real use. But now it is my regular companion on all my trips. You capture the way points as you go to a new destination. Later you upload them on a software and it processes the data and plots the points on a google map. So you know exactly where you went. Future travelers can go to those places in my footsteps.
Like this I have created a map for going to Piyali in the Sunderbans. Another map I created was in the water ways of Sunderbans after my visit there. Yesterday we went to Kharibari and created a GPS map of the route to that place. Today went to Nalban and again I created a guide for future birders to the area.
The device has a tremendous potential here in India. But unfortunately in India Garmin is right now selling only its automotive machines with maps.
By the way - that image was taken on our rooftop and that's my coordinate on the face of the globe.
The Foretrex 101 has one handicap. It cannot be easily connected to a computer. So what I do is after coming home I manually write down all the latitudes and longitudes and then create a CSV file out of it. It's very simple really.
If any traveller reading this article wants to get any of my maps just send me an email. I will send the map as an application which you need to download in your computer and then view it.
I am yet to work out how to embed the map into this website. I think it is possible. But I will need to spend a lot of time exploring various things that I kind of half understand. Therefore I am keeping it pending :-)

No comments: