Monday, January 2, 2012

Friendly Neighbourhood Barn Owls



On 1st January as I was going out early in the morning for my birding trip, I wanted to record the screeching barn owls on Brishti's (a neighbour's little daughter) roof top. They call every night and all it takes is to switch on the recorder and hold the microphone.

But just as I was going to press the recording button a loud Ajan (Muslim call for prayer allowed by the government to be blared on the (extremely) loud speakers) suddenly started in the mosque nearby and the owl stopped calling. Later some howling dogs ruined the atmosphere further.

This morning at around 5 am as we were getting ready to go out for our morning walk (after a long long time) I heard them calling again and went to my rooftop to record this call. I also saw some movement of one of the birds. It flew from the rooftop of Brishti's house to a large Kadam tree in front of their house. There are obviously more than one bird.

It was quite dark and I could hardly see anything clearly. These owls call only when there is zero sunlight. Our neighbourhood, if you are interested, is not very well lit but it isn't dark either.

This vocalisation, as is obvious, is quite different from the other one that I had recorded earlier. I hope one day I will get the answer about their meanings.

There are some loud crows making their presence known when it is still dark. There is still a very faint Ajan sound coming from some distant mosque that could not be helped. Hope to record the sound again at around 3 am on another morning. Hopefully it will be quieter.

No comments: