Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mampu Turns Recordist

Yesterday (24th April, 2012) Mampu told this to me over phone: "achcha Baba, I have opened the recorder in your phone and replaced the ring tone from your Blue-throated Barbet to my whistling". I was pretty stunned. A few days ago when her own phone stopped working she took my previous phone that was lying idle for the last few days since I graduated to an Asha 200. This was a cheap Nokia 2300 which I thought was a very basic phone that serves the purpose of person to person communication only.

Mampu at Ravangla on 1st April, 2012. This is just below the hotel Cloud's End. Canon 450D with Tamron 90 mm macro

But trust Mampu to find out a voice recorder in it. She not only recorded her own whistling, she also made that into her ring tone. It took me a while to digest this news. If this was a Nokia ad to highlight how simple it is to use its features it wouldn't be very believable !! Fact is often stranger than fiction.

I went back home and believed this only when I heard her ring tone. It indeed is her whistling tone. Later we got Monisha to record her voice: "Mampu wake up, it is 7 o' clock now" and set this as the alarm tone in her phone. However this morning we realised that either the alarm didn't work or the alarm tone was too weak to wake either of us up.

I still remember the surprise and disbelief when Mampu sent us her first SMS a few years ago.

If you are a stranger to this story - Mampu is my 8 year old daughter. She uses a phone to communicate with us generally on her way back from the school which she does with a maid who does not have a phone. She has to change bus, train, auto etc several times and we feel safer that she is in touch with us. Needless to say both of us have to work.



No comments: