Sunday, May 1, 2022

Questions

I often go on trips. Different types of trips. Some are family trips. Some personal for either birding or hiking. And people ask questions when I return. We all do. Normally they are general questions like how was it? Or where did you stay? After birding trips people generally ask what birds I saw or how the weather was etc.   

After my recent nature trip to Bharatpur and Dholepur etc with Suranjan and Arijit I faced an office colleague whose first question was - what did you have for breakfast at Bharatpur? Honestly I froze. For the life of me I couldn't remember what I ate for breakfast at Bharatpur. Later I realised that we actually ate nothing for breakfast on the first two days. On day one we ate off a street side dhaba. On second day we ate dry fruits on the boat in Chambal. And I sincerely don't remember what breakfast I had on the third day except for some delightful jilebis made at the canteen itself by the forest department staff. 

Incidentally if you found nothing odd in the question, please don't count me as one of your friends. 

There was one other guy in office who during my trip kept on asking over whatsapp whether or not I had seen the skimmer but upon meeting me turned the discussion about my trip into where exactly Bharatpur was relative to Fatehpur or what other monuments are there on the route etc. These are questions whose answers he knew. So he took the discussion around those. 

Apparently there is some old step well somewhere on the way. Who gives an eff.  He is famous for not even knowing how to go to Howrah from Garia despite being an out and out South Calcuttan by birth and upbringing and with his own car since childhood.  

But this is how human nature is and if you observe closely you learn a lot about how not to behave.

No comments: