Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Cute Plantlets

Last year I had brought home a spider plant from Mukherjee's Nursery. I think it was in August. I kept it on the window grill and watered it regularly. A few weeks ago it suddenly gave out a runner. Small flowers bloomed out of it and soon I realised small plantlets had developed out of those flowers. Before long two more runners came out with similar plantlets at the end.

In nature, the runners would droop down and the plantlets would find ground and grow into adult plants. But in my artificial garden it becomes incumbent upon me to adopt those plantlets as my children and help them find their feet. 

So I bought six little tubs. I bought soil, vermi compost etc. I even stole some construction sand from a nearby construction site and planted them the other day by preparing the potting soil first. Saturday 11th June, 2022 to be precise. Let me see how they grow. I kept one of them dipped in water as an experiment. If the roots grow I will repot them in a regular tub.

If they successfully grow out I have to find new homes for them. Perhaps gift them away to friends. Because at this rate of reproduction our house will soon become full of spider plants only. My cash expense in each plant is around Rs 20.



No comments: